A Step-by-Step Guide to Get Rid of Cockroaches
by “Mark Taylor“ PestMD Contributing writer
The mere sight of cockroaches evokes a sense of disgust in many people and rightly so. These are unwanted pests who not just invade our homes especially the kitchen area but are also known carriers of several diseases. In fact, they can contaminate human food by way of germs that they pick from dirty areas and end up spreading diseases such as diarrhea, cholera, typhoid, dysentery and plague, as revealed by the World Health Organization (WHO).
Cockroaches are also responsible for triggering several allergies, the symptoms of which can include coughing, wheezing, ear infections, skin rashes, etc., as per the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology.
Now that another dark side of cockroaches is revealed, besides the fact that they are unsightly, it becomes important to explore the available options to get rid of Cockroaches from your home.
5 Steps to Get Rid of Cockroaches
1. Focus on Prevention – If you want to eliminate the menace of cockroaches, it is important to block the source from where they are gaining access to your homes. While doing so can be a difficult task for an untrained eye, common sources would include the gap between doors and windows, cracks and crevices in the kitchen and even water pipes coming into your home.
2. Sanitation is a Must – The fact that you rarely see cockroaches during the daytime doesn’t mean your home is not infested by these nocturnal creatures. Here’s what you can do to put a curb on the cockroach population in your home:
· If you haven’t already, you must always cover trash cans in and around your home.
· Use air tight containers to store food items.
· Clean any leftover food particles from the kitchen surface and floors every night, without fail.
· Don’t leave any dish in the kitchen sink as well before you sleep so that you end up eliminating an important food source for these cockroaches to thrive on.
· It is also important to find and block access to any water source that these cockroaches can feed on. For instance, any leaks in plumbing should deserve your urgent attention.
3. Set up Roach Traps – Cockroach traps can easily be purchased either online or through physical stores. Knowing where to place these traps will be the key to trapping these pests. A point to note here is that unlike rodents in your home which are small in numbers, we are probably dealing with a platoon of cockroaches that unleash their fury when you shut off the lights and retire to bed. It is, therefore; important to think of a concrete way of preventing and eliminating the cockroach population in your home.
4. Chemical Use – You can also control a cockroach infestation by using chemicals. While doing so, you must only use the ones approved by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and read all the instructions provided before using it. Incorrect usage can expose you or any food item with the chemicals, therefore, you have to be very careful while using these. Pest MD recommends FenvaStar Plus, it’s fast acting, long lasting residual, and is available in most states.
5. Pest Control Services – It can be a good idea to call in pest control professionals as well. Their cockroach extermination services can help you go to the root-cause of the infestation and help you deploy concrete steps to overcome the problem for the longer term, say the experts at Heritage Pest Control. Choose a professional who relies on eco-friendly means to ensure there is no scope of any contamination in your home.
Follow these tried and tested ways to fight the roach menace in your home and steer clear of the many diseases that you might come in contact with because of these unwelcome visitors in your home.
“Get rid of Cockroaches”, by “Mark Taylor”