How to Control Scorpions
Learn to Kill Scorpions in your home , store or office. There are approximately 90 species of scorpions in the US and of those 90 only 4 are found east of the Mississippi River. And of the 90 species, only one found west of the Mississippi can be deadly. You can find scorpions typically under things like sleeping bags, shoes, blankets, etc. When a female scorpion has babies she usually gives birth to 25-35 young. Scorpions are nocturnal or diurnal, predatory animals that feed on a variety of insects, spiders, centipedes, and other scorpions.
Hunting Scorpions with Black-lighting
If you want to kill scorpions you first have to find them. Scorpions glow under ultraviolet light so they are easy to find with the aid of a black-light during the night. Nighttime scorpion hunting can be fun but make sure that you wear good boots and have a pair of long tongs if you want to capture the scorpions to move them. You can also use glue boards to capture scorpions.
Kill Scorpions in your structures?
“courtesy of University of Arizona Cooperative Extension”
The first control strategy is to modify the area surrounding a house or structure:
- Conduct U.V. black-light collections several times during the summer between 8-11pm.
- Remove all harborages such as trash, logs, boards, stones, bricks and other objects from around the building.
- Keep grass closely mowed near the home. Prune bushes and overhanging tree branches away from the structure.
- Tree branches can provide a path to the roof for scorpions.
- Minimize low growing ground cover vegetation.
- Store garbage containers in a frame that allows them to rest above ground level.
- Never bring firewood inside the building unless it is placed directly on the fire.
- Install weather-stripping around loose-fitting doors and windows.
- Ensure door sweeps are tight-fitting
- Plug weep holes in brick veneer with steel wool, pieces of nylon scouring pad or small squares of screen wire.
- Caulk around roof eaves, pipes and any other cracks into the building.
- Keep window screens in good repair. Make sure they fit tightly in the window frame.
- Stucco over cinder-block walls.
Chemical Control for Scorpions
These products are labeled to kill Scorpions and other outside pests that scorpions use for food. By eliminating the scorpion’s food source you may drive the scorpions away for lack of food. Onslaught FastCap Spider & Scorpion Insecticide combines fast kill (action) and long residual activity against pests listed on this label when applied as surface or spot treatments, injected into wall voids, or as a crack and crevice spray in and around residential and commercial structures, as well as on turf and landscaping.
Be sure that before you purchase or use any product, read the label carefully to be sure it is labeled to kill scorpions in the type of location where the application is made.